Anyone for a new car
Cars losing, vans stable EV winning – Latest SMMT July Figures out
We have the latest statistics for July registrations out and the main headlines as follows:
- Cars down 9.3% YoY with 161k new vehicle registrations
So, what’s driving this, economy, changing patterns or the dreaded Brexit factor.
Any other trends of note:
- Business buyers led the drop down 23.8%, fleet next with 10.1% and private 6.8%, across the board by the look of it.
- Only bright spark was the Alternative fuels up 64.9%, but remember this is a low base, but it is starting to grow.
- Petrol down 3% versus Diesel down 20%, looks like the negative press on diesels may be taking effect.
- If we look at the AF vehicles in more detail, we can see the Plug in pure electric is leading the way with a 105% YoY increase as opposed to hybrids at 76.8% for petrol whilst diesels are down 46%.
On a year to date basis comparing 17 versus 16, the market is down 2.2% much like the SMMT forecast for the year, however August will be interesting to see if the decline increases or not. Diesels at -11% Ytd decline means it could be accelerating, so let’s see what happens in due course and will there may be some pre-registration discounts coming forward.
In the commercial sector, vans less than 3.5t continue to grow at 1.1% YoY. Vans 2.0t to 2.5t leading the way up 41% whilst all other segments were in fact down.
On a year to date basis Vans are down 3.1% however so is July just a blip or are we going to see a gradual decline, let’s watch this space.
For more information follow the link to the SMMT site which can be accessed here.
Thinking of your next fleet options, right vehicles for your business and importantly the right funding method for you we are here to help at LetsTalkFleet.